This is my own variation of beef stew that I
enjoy making on cold day. The smell drives my dog crazy.
Cook time: 4-6 hours
· 2 onions (sliced)
· 2 x 480g diced casserole beef
· 8 x portabella mushrooms (sliced)
· 1 pack smoked diced bacon
· 6 whole shallots (peeled)
· 6 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
· 4 beef oxo cubes
tin of butter beans (drained)
bottle of brown ale
· 10 new potatoes
· 1 tblsp olive oil
· 1 tsp herbs de provence
tsp knorrs beef liquid stock
knob of butter
TIP: Place tin foil on the bottom of your oven to prevent from spills. I
learnt the hard way and spent ages scrubbing it off.
1. Preheat the oven to 150c
2. Slice the onions and melt half the butter and olive oil in a
frying pan. Add the onions to the saucepan until soft and golden, and then put the onions in the bottom of the
3. Mix the flour and beef together making sure the beef is
covered and fry in the same saucepan until brown (make sure you only brown the meat, not cook it). Add the beef
to the casserole dish. Next, slice the mushrooms and add to the casserole followed by the diced
4. Make ½ a pint of stock with the Oxo cubes with boiling water
and pour into the casserole dish. Now it is time to get the bottle opener out and pour the ale into the
5. Finely chop the garlic cloves and sprinkle over the top of
the ingredients followed by the peppercorns. Then add the bay leaves and herbs de Provence.
6. Place the bouquet garni in the centre of the dish and push
it down with a spoon. Add a splash of liquid stock then put the lid on the casserole dish and place on the
middle shelf of the oven.
7. After ½ hour, peel and parboil the potatoes and drain the
can of butter beans ( If you don’t like butter beans, you can use chickpeas or something else you
8. Take the stew out of the oven and slowly add the potatoes
and butter beans to the mixture and give it a good stir. Don’t worry if you can’t fit it in all at once as you
can keep adding through the duration of the cooking time.
9. After 4/6 hours, remove the stew from the oven. If you like
a thicker sauce, just add cornflour to suit.
10. Serve with rice or chips and fresh buttered
Print this recipe